All Our Yesterdays

All Our Yesterdays  - Cristin Terrill This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaI love time travel in books. Especially when the time travel is well executed. So I was destined to love All Our Yesterdays. I am so seriously blown away that this book is Cristin Terrill’s debut novel, because it was a simply amazing read.So, the very heart of All Our Yesterdays is time travel, which means that the pacing has to be somewhat up to par, and oh my goodness, was it ever! The first third or so of the book was a little confusing, and at times felt rather slow, but it picked up the speed from then on until it reached breakneck speed at the heart-stopping climax. It wasn’t a book best read when tired, as I found out when I was reading at night and became extremely grumpy and confused trying to work out what the heck was going on. I loved the pacing of All Our Yesterdays, it was so perfect and so fitting for the book, and meant that once I’d gotten into the thick of the action, I couldn’t put it down. Not even for a cup of tea. (There you go. One of the only books ever to stop me making a brew.)I found Em to be an incredible character. I instantly took to her, I really admired her survival instinct and her determination to stop the future that she was currently living in from happening. Meaning that she was willing to end her own life to stop those events from happening. I thought that was so selfless of her, and of Finn as well, as he was in an identical situation. And it really highlighted just how courageous they were. They may not have had much of a choice, but they still accepted their fate and did everything in their power to follow through what they needed to do. Marina, however, I really struggled to warm to. I just found her a little too…it’s hard to describe. I wasn’t a fan of how self-centred she was, or how she just wanted to kiss James and sleep with him. It just bugged me a lot, especially given the situation they were in. I know there was a point to her character, but she still really annoyed me.James was an incredibly complex character. Just when I thought I had him figured out, he would go and show another side of himself that would make me totally change my opinion of him. I veered back and forth between liking and disliking him, especially when he manipulated Marina’s feelings for him so she would always back him up. I know I didn’t really warm to her character, but that was still wrong. I wasn’t expecting his ending to be what it was, but I do think it was fitting for his character. I can’t go into too much detail with specific plot points otherwise I’ll end up giving everything away, so I’m trying my hardest to keep this as spoiler-free as I possibly can.All Our Yesterdays is easily one of the best debut books I have read all year, playing on all of my emotions from happiness, to anger to total heartbreak. It deserves all of the praise that it’s been receiving across the blogosphere. The only thing I would say is that I hope the rumours of it being a duology turn out to be false, as this really shone as a brilliant standalone book.If you’ve been debating over whether or not you should read All Our Yesterdays, I say you should definitely give it a try, as you’ll be missing out on something if you don’t.