An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines - John Green This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaAs you've all probably gathered by now, I am a huge fan of John Green. The Fault in Our Stars is one of my top reads of 2012 (so far!). An Abundance of Katherines was the last book in my John Green collection that I had to read, and whilst I didn't find it as amazing as the rest of his books, I still found it an incredibly entertaining book. I remember once reading on Goodreads that Colin/Lindsey, Quentin/Margo (Paper Towns) and Miles/Alaska (Looking for Alaska) all to be the same characters, just with different names. Whilst I saw the similarities between the latter two pairings, I found Colin and Lindsey to be two completely different characters. Colin, a 'fading' child prodigy, was smart. Possibly too smart. He knew eleven languages. He anagrammed things for fun. And, if I'm honest, I spent half of the book wanting to smack him upside the head and get him to stop moping over Katherine XIX, and the other half really enjoying his character. I liked how he kept 'flashbacking' to his previous relationships during the story, as it gave me more of an idea over how his relationships went. I loved how his relationship with Katherine XIX was slowly explained, and how we came to understand why there was 19 Katherines. Lindsey and Hassan were great characters to complement Colin. I loved Hassan and how outrageously funny he was. His and Colin's over-use of the word 'fug' and 'fugger' didn't annoy me like it could some, it rather reminded me of when I was a little younger in my GCSE years, and my friends and I would try and come up with alternatives to curse words that were safe to use in the classroom. Lindsey was a very complex character, and it wasn't until the very end of the book that we really get to see who the real Lindsey Lee Wells was. And I was okay with this. Because I appreciated Lindsey's complexity, and why she acted in the different ways that she did. I think that there are a lot of Lindsey's in the world, so it was nice to see a literary portrayal of one. The humour that I expected from John Green was still present in this book. The fight scene that takes place towards the end of the book had me doubling over in laughter, especially at the part where Colin accidentally slaps someone instead of punching them, all because he forgot to close his fist like he was supposed to. And I thought the scene with the wild hog was absolutely priceless, because only Colin Singleton would be able to shoot a hornet's nest whilst trying to scare away a wild hog.Whilst some people may say that this was the weakest book by John Green, I really don't believe that is fair to say. Yes, this may be full of graphs, mathematical equations, footnotes and moping, but there is still a message to this book, just like with all of John Green's other books. If you're new to John Green, I would suggest starting here, as I feel that this is a great introduction to the wonderful world of John Green.