Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky - This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaI'd been really interested to read Under the Never Sky since the end of last year. There appeared to be a lot of buzz surrounding the book, and I even put it on my Top Ten Tuesday list of books I'm most excited to read this year. I think, however, I built up a little too much hype for the book myself, as whilst it was a good read, it did fall a tiny bit flat for me in places.I really liked how this book was written from two different perspectives, yet was still in the third person. I know that this style may not be for everyone, but I really liked being able to get to know Perry and Aria, even if we weren't deep in their headspaces like we would have been if it had been written in first person. It really highlighted the differences between the two worlds, or the Dwellers and the Outsiders. I loved watching Aria and Perry develop from enemies, to allies, to friends. It was a great process to watch, and I really loved the two characters, they were, at times, the only real reason I carried on reading some parts of the book. The twist with Aria was a little bit predictable, not too much, but I did kind of see it coming. At times I wanted to yell at Aria for the way she was acting towards Perry, especially after their altercation with the Croven. He just saved her life, yet all she could focus on was the fact that he'd killed a man. She didn't even thank him from becoming the Croven's next snack! I did eventually warm to her, very much like Perry did, I guess. Did anyone else feel this way towards Aria? I do kind of wonder if it was just me, maybe I was having a bad day when I read that scene! (ha!)I was a little disappointed with the world-building in Under the Never Sky, I had a lot of questions about the Realms and the Aether that I wanted answering, yet they weren't. I know that most of them are more than likely going to be answered in the second book, but I was just frustrated that some things were barely touched on, like why the Dwellers began wearing their Smarteyes in the process. I'm not sure if that was so Rossi could jump into the back story of the Dwellers and the Realms in the second book, or if it was something that was simply missed out altogether. I'm leaning more towards the first option though, I reckon we're going to learn a lot about the back stories of everything in the second book, which I really look forward to! I really liked all the secondary characters, like Marron, Roar and Cinder, and I really hope that we get to see a lot more of these characters, particularly Cinder, as I'd like to see how he's going to settle in with the Tides, and whether or not he has a large role in the finding of the Still Blue.Overall, this was an enjoyable debut, and I really look forward to reading the sequel, Through the Ever Night, I just hope that it answers at least a couple of my questions! Whilst the world-building wasn't as awesome as other dystopias that I've read, I would still recommend you giving this one a try, as I'm pretty sure you'll still enjoy it!