Crossed (Matched Trilogy)

Crossed  - Ally Condie This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaYou may or may not know this, but I have a really bad love/hate relationship with books that are the second in a series. As a general rule of thumb, they tend to be my least favourite book of the series, because nothing much really seems to happen with them. Unfortunately, this was the case for me with Crossed, a book that I really wanted to love more than I actually did. One of the things that remained the same in Crossed was Condie’s writing. I really enjoyed her writing style in Matched, and it was the same case with Crossed. There’s no denying that Condie is an extremely talented author with brilliant world-building skills. This really shone through with Crossed, and was definitely one of the redeeming points of the book. I found her writing to be extremely addictive in this one, and I carried on reading it, not so much because of the plot, but more so I could enjoy her writing.Whilst the plot didn’t really develop in Crossed, the characters certainly did. We meet some new characters, like Indie and Vick, who join Cassia and Ky on their journey through the Carving. I felt that Cassia became a much stronger character in Crossed, and was much more driven in her determination to get to Ky, and also to join the Rising to help destroy the Society. I was pleased to see Cassia with a bit more fire in her belly this time round! We also got to learn a lot more about Ky’s background before he arrived at the Markham’s, which I really appreciated. However, even after the events of Crossed, I am still a firm member of Team Xander. There’s just something I don’t quite ‘get’ with Ky and Cassia’s romance. I think it’s the thought that if someone else’s face had popped up on the screen, someone other than Ky, Cassia might have fallen in love with them instead.As I’ve mentioned, not a lot really goes on in Crossed. The plot itself is very basic, however, I was so absorbed in Condie’s writing that I didn’t really notice until I took a break from reading to think about what actually went on. Some parts were really interesting, yet others seemed to drag on for a little longer than necessary. I don’t want to pan this book, because it really doesn’t deserve that, but I can understand why people were so frustrated with it. Crossed really did have a case of second-book syndrome. If you’re into this series because of Condie’s writing, then it’s a must-read, because her writing is flawless. However, the plot lacks a little with this one, and until I read the third and final instalment, Reached, I won’t be able to tell you how important a book Crossed is to the trilogy.