Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2)

Catching Fire  - Suzanne  Collins This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaAfter reading The Hunger Games, I could barely wait to get started with the second instalment in the series, Catching Fire. I was slightly dubious over whether or not it would be as good as its predecessor, yet I needn't have worried, as this was an excellent book full of rollercoaster twist and turns! The character development was absolutely excellent in this book, all the characters have changed and evolved from the first book. I also loved the new characters that we were introduced to in this book, Finnick and Beetee especially. I especially liked Finnick, he appeared to be everything that Katniss hated, yet as soon as he saved Peeta's life, Katniss realised how important an ally he really was. Plus the tension between Peeta and Katniss was almost unbearable at points, especially during their 'showmance' during their Victory Tour.The Quarter Quell was my favourite aspect of the book, these Games were easily as captivating as the previous year's,and perhaps even more thrilling, knowing that Katniss and Peeta were going up against other previous victors, all of whom were older than the two District 12 victors. Collins has a great knack for writing in these unexpected twists and turns into the plot, which made the read all the more great. Catching Fire had easily as much drama and action as The Hunger Games, with quite possibly one of the worst cliffhangers ever! I'm so pleased I had the foresight to buy Mockingjay alongside Catching Fire, I don't think I would have been able to cope otherwise!Catching Fire is easily as good as The Hunger Games was, and made an excellent and captivating sequel. I really don't know what else to say in my review. This book was just brilliant.