True Tale of the Monster Billy Dean - David Almond This review was first posted on Music, Books and Tea.I’m going to be honest with you, when I picked up Billy Dean I expected it to a kind of Sweeny Todd like story, thanks to the scissors on the front cover. What I received instead was something totally different, but definitely in a good way.The first thing that I picked up on whilst reading Billy Dean was the fact that the book is written phonetically. And that kind of threw me at first, because obviously, I’m not used to reading that style of writing. But it actually really helped add to the feeling of the book, and kind of helped me get to understand Billy as a person a lot better.I have to say though, I didn’t really have much of a clue over what was going on throughout the book. Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention, but I didn’t really feel like there was a real structured plot to the book. At times, this didn’t bother me, but at points it felt like the story was being repeated a little, and that did bother me.The True Tale of the Monster Billy Dean isn’t a terrible book, as there were points where I did enjoy it, but it definitely doesn’t match up to Kit’s Wilderness or Skellig.