Pure  - Julianna Baggott This review was first posted on Music, Books and Tea.Pure was a dystopian that I’d heard quite a lot about, and had been rather interested in reading, but never quite got round to actually picking the book up. I finally rectified that mistake earlier in the year, and was greeted with an interesting dystopian that had me invested from start to finish.I loved the fact that Pure was written in the present tense. It made it a little different to the books I’m used to reading, but it worked well with the story. The plot had a bit more urgency about it, and it made me feel like I was there in the book with Pressia, Partridge and Bradwell.Pressia was a good main character in that she actually fought for herself and made sure she looked after herself. How many times do we see characters starting off strong and looking like they’re going to continue the rest of the book in that vein, but then somehow turn into the wimpiest, most ridiculous character on earth? It bugs me so much, and I worried that Pressia was going to do that, but thankfully, she didn’t! She managed to stay the same character that she started as in Pure, and really only got tougher and more ruthless towards the end. But other than that, I didn’t really connect with her. I’m not entirely sure why, I just didn’t. I much preferred other characters like El Captain and Bradwell.Bradwell and Partridge were two characters from completely opposite ends of the spectrum – Partridge was a Pure who had nearly everything he wanted, and Bradwell, who wants revenge on the people who allowed others like him to end up this way. They don’t gel straight away, but end up thrown together and despite their differences, end up finding a mutual respect for one another, and begin working together towards a common goal.The concept of people being fused to objects that they were close to at the end of the detonations added something very different to the typical dystopian dome setting, which I appreciated, and it was what helped make Pure an enjoyable read. I’m pleased I finally got round to reading Pure, and I can’t wait to see what happens to them next in Fuse.