Rory (The Ghosts of Palladino, #1) - Ciye Cho This review was first posted on Music, Books and Tea.I have been a fan of Ciye Cho since reading the first two books in his Florence Waverly series last year, so when he asked me if I was willing to review Rory, the first book in a new series of his, it was a no-brainer really. Rory is a unique take on a typical ghost story, and one that I really could not get enough of.I really liked Rory as a main character, and I think it was because she was portrayed in such a realistic way. She was definitely a fighter, and wasn’t willing to meekly accept her fate. She was determined to fight tooth and nail to get back to earth and be reunited with her mother, who is stuck in hospital, something that Rory hasn’t forgiven herself for. Yes, on occasion she did some silly things that made me want to knock a little sense into her, but we all have our moments. I loved her relationship with Cookie the cat, he brought so much humour into the story and it was nice for Rory to have someone she knew she could rely on straight away.The world that Ciye Cho has created in Palladino was fantastic. I loved reading about all the different aspects of the city, and was desperate to learn more about it. It was great to explore it through Rory’s eyes as well, as she was experiencing the city for the first time. His take on ghosts was so interesting as well – they were corporeal beings who could touch, but couldn’t eat, and would be able to easily blend into human society – or at least, that was what I took from the book. Demons also play a large role in the book, with each house of Palladino being given demons who take on different roles depending on their master. Everything that was mentioned in the book had its own set of tiny details, which I loved.I wasn’t expecting the romance in Rory to happen, but it was worked into the story well, without taking away anything from the main storyline, which was Rory escaping Palladino and getting back to her mother. I can’t wait to see how the romance pans out throughout the rest of the series, as I have a feeling that it’s going to play a huge role in the rest of the books. Martin was such an intriguing character, it was easy to see why Rory was so attracted to him. I liked how he respected Rory, trusting her enough to do the tasks he had set out for her, and he didn’t really undermine her, which was so pleasant to see.Rory marked the start of a very exciting new series that I cannot wait to read more of. If you’re looking for a book that has a unique twist on ghosts along with a realistic main character, look no further than this book. You won’t be disappointed!