Everneath 1 - Brodi' 'Ashton This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaYou know when there’s those books that you so desperately want to love? You've heard great things about it, people surrounding you seem to love it, and then you get to reading it…and you just don’t see what everyone else seems to have loved about this book? This was, unfortunately my problem with Everneath. I wasn’t alone in my confusion, as I buddy-read this with Rebekah from Reflections of a Bookworm, and she felt the same way as I did.I need to start off by saying that the concept of Everneath was really interesting. That was what drew me to the book in the first place (alongside the beautiful cover!), and I couldn’t wait to see how it was pulled off. Unfortunately, I think its execution was one of its downfalls. The first half of the book was interesting, and hooked me in, but I think a lot of the second half was kind of filler until the finale, which I both enjoyed and disliked at the same time. I thought the way the chapters were written was interesting, with the two timelines interwoven with one another, which gave me a much clearer explanation over why Nikki ended up in that predicament. And Brodi Ashton’s take on Greek mythology was interesting, and I liked how several of them were mentioned throughout the course of the story.I really could not warm to Nikki, the main character who has just returned from six months in the Everneath, and only has six more months on earth before she is taken back to the Everneath forever. She just didn’t seem to do anything, which bugged me a lot. If I had been in her position, I would have thrown myself into making amends for the past and making sure I said goodbye to everyone I cared about. But for someone who had been determined to return to the surface, she didn’t make much of her short six months. Which frustrated me to no end! I just really wanted to give her a good shake to kind of remind her that time was of the essence!And as for Jack and Cole? As Bekah put it (quite wonderfully, I feel) there wasn’t so much a love triangle as there was a love dust bunny. I just did not get the appeal of Cole whatsoever. Yeah, I appreciated Nikki wanted him to ‘take the pain away’, but her reasoning for that was ridiculous. Plus, he was a creeper, with a completely warped idea of love. Jack did grow on me as the book went on, and I thought what he did at the end of Everneath was incredibly admirable, and it showed that his love for Nikki really hadn’t died. In fact, I think it’s fair to say that Jack was the redeeming part of the second half of Everneath, and I enjoyed reading about him more than I did anyone else in the book.Overall, Everneath was a rather large let down for me. I keep feeling that I read a completely different book to everyone else, which sucks, but hey, if everyone liked the same book, then the book blogosphere would be a pretty boring place!