Carnival of Souls - Melissa Marr This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaWhen I found Carnival of Souls in my library, I wasn’t sure if it was going to be the book for me or not. I really need to stop questioning my judgement on books, because I freaking loved this book so much, I read it all in one sitting without stopping. Carnival of Souls was a little confusing for me at first, as the point of views change and until I got used to each character’s distinct voice, I had a hard time working out which character I was reading about. There’s also a ton of characters to get used to in Carnival of Souls, and they’re all introduced pretty quickly, which is kind of overwhelming, but all the characters are necessary to the plot. Mallory, of the main characters was a kind of ‘bleh’ character for me…I found myself wanting to skip past her chapters to get to Aya’s or Kaleb’s, but her storyline did get more interesting as the book continued, and Mallory definitely started to show some promise and come into her own more at the very end of the book, which makes me excited to see how her character will develop. Kaleb was such an interesting character to read about – at first I thought he was human, but he was obviously so much more. He was so loyal to Zevie, and I really admired his drive to constantly improve himself. I thought the relationship between Kaleb and Mallory was odd, and I still can’t quite understand why Kaleb was so drawn to her. And in total comparison to Mallory was Aya, who is the kind of female character I love. She was so full of fire and determined to not do what was expected of her, and find a way to live the life that she wanted for herself. I’m curious about her heritage and who her father is, and I’m hoping that her past is explored more in the next book. Carnival of Souls is full of fantastic writing. I love Marr’s writing style. I had a rough idea of what to expect after reading Graveminder last year, and Carnival of Souls was no different. Everything flowed so well, and the pacing was so on point, I never really got bored. My one problem with the book was the fact that not a huge amount happened within it. Obviously the Carnival and the fights taking place in it are a huge part of the book, but other than that, Carnival of Souls seemed to just set the story for the rest of the series, which is good, but I just wanted a little bit more. (Maybe I’m being greedy!)Carnival of Souls is definitely a book I would recommend to fans of fantasy and paranormal books. It’s not for everyone, but I think it has a lot to offer, and I can’t wait to see where the story continues!