A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaThere is one word that springs to mind when I think about this book, and that word is 'beautiful'. That really is the best way for me to describe this book. I had been waiting to read this book for several months, so when I saw a copy at my local library, I quickly snatched it up, eager to see if the story would live up to my expectations. It's easy to say that this book far surpassed my expectations, and had me staying up until I'd finished the entire book.There were so many positives to this book, it's hard for me to pick one to start talking about! I found the writing in A Certain Slant of Light absolutely breathtaking. It really helped to bring the characters to life, and I felt like I had been sucked into the story and that I was an observer within the book, watching Helen and James (or Jenny and Billy, depending on which way you look at it). The writing was an incredible strong point to this book, Whitcomb certainly has a way with words that refuses to let you stop reading at a sensible point! I was hooked after roughly 50 pages in, I wanted to stop what I was doing and read it there and then, but alas, other commitments got in the way, so I had to physically tear myself away from the book.The concept of Light was a very interesting one, and gave me a new perspective on ghosts. I liked the originality, Helen wasn't just a ghost, she was Light, and that meant something very different to the normal ghosts we've read about and learnt in the past. Don't get me wrong, I love a traditional ghost story as much as the next person (unless you're easily spooked!) but it was nice to get a fresh perspective. I also liked that when she was Light, and James was in Billy's body, she could still kind of touch James. It was these subtle actions that made this book all the more enjoyable to read.I absolutely loved the relationship between Helen and James. I thought it was lovely how at one moment, they were trying to be proper, and act the way that they did when they were alive, then as soon as they were both teenagers (kind of) again, they couldn't keep their hands off each other. Whitcomb didn't shy away from typical teenage behaviour in this book as there was swearing and sex, but she also explored strict Christian family behaviour too. I'm not sure how realistic Jenny's family were, but they provided an excellent contrast to Mitch and Billy's house. A Certain Slant of Light is a book that I am so glad I read. It told a beautiful love story, and also explored several different areas in a confident and realistic way. The ending was, in my eyes perfect, and I'm extremely excited to see that a sequel/companion novel is being released this year. This is a book that I won't be hesitating to recommend.