The Gathering  - Kelley Armstrong This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaI read the first book in Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers series last year, and fell in love with her writing style, so when I saw this sitting at my library, I couldn't resist not checking it out. This was a great read, an a very promising start to what looks to be an excellent series!Maya, the main character, is a pretty normal teenager. Yes, she may live in a tiny town that is, for all intents and purposes, owned by the mysterious St. Clouds, but I found her incredibly easy to relate to. She was still grieving the loss of one of her best friends, Serena, who died in a mysterious accident at the lake around a year before the story takes place. Maya didn't make stupid mistakes either, so I didn't spend half the book yelling at her for doing something so obviously wrong! I liked watching her interact with the animals too, she treated them like they were humans, and although she was in denial over her healing abilities, it seemed very obvious, to me at least, in what direction the story would be heading. And this wasn't a bad thing, I liked watching the story pan out the way that I had suspected it may.I also loved the character of Rafe. I loved his 'bad-boy' image that seemed to just melt away when he was around Maya, he seemed to really like her and I just wanted for them to get together, but obviously it wasn't going to be as easy as that! He has certainly become my new book crush, but that's not to say that I didn't love Daniel, because I did! Whilst there wasn't a real love-triangle in this book, Daniel's feelings towards Maya were hinted at by his drunken father, so maybe this is something else Maya will have to contend with in the next book! Daniel was almost the boy that you wanted to hate but couldn't - he seemed to be pretty perfect, despite his family situation. I loved his overprotectiveness towards Maya, even if it was a little suffocating at times for Maya. Whilst I never really picked up on this in The Summoning, it's easy to see that Kelley Armstrong can write some pretty perfect male characters!The Gathering really picked up the pace at the end, I literally could not put it down, even for a second! I found myself tearing through the pages, not only to see what would happen with Maya, Rafe and Daniel, but to Annie as well. I really hope that we find out what happened to her in the next book of the trilogy, The Calling, as well as what happens to Salmon Creek! The Gathering has made me a solid fan of Kelley Armstrong, and I really cannot wait for The Calling to be released so I can be reunited with these fantastic characters.