Delirium  - Lauren Oliver This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaDelirium was a book that I honestly didn't think would be for me. I've seen so many positive reviews for this book, and I wanted to give it a try, but I really believed that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as everyone else seemed to! Thankfully, I can say that I was completely and utterly wrong, and whilst this book wasn't perfect, it was certainly good enough to get me hooked into the series.Above all, Delirium was a book that made me think. It was so hard to imagine a society where people who have had the cure don't really feel anything, or have any real friends. Parents don't love their children. There's no such thing as unconditional love. There's no such thing as conditional love. Marriage is used literally for procreation, and means very little but that. Going by the book, as I am 19, I would have already been cured, I would have basically been numb to everything from love to hate, and all those in-between emotions. Truth be told, I really don't think I would want the cure. I can't begin to imagine living a life where I don't experience love, yet Lauren Oliver made it seem like such a stark reality in Delirium.I really liked Lena as a character. I felt that her questioning of the cure, and whether it was the right thing for her was necessary, especially taking into account her mother's history. I did, however, think that some of her decisions were a little silly and rash, although I do understand why she went through with them, all the while running the risk of being caught by the regulators.I wasn't really taken by Alex. I didn't really connect with him all that much throughout the book, but I did enjoy the scene where Alex and Lena were in the Wilds and he recited poetry to her. That alone made me swoon!The ending was completely unexpected. Whilst a part of me had gathered what Lena was going to do, or attempt to do, I was not expecting for things to happen the way that they did. The ending of Delirium left me right on edge, so I am very happy that I took out Pandemonium alongside Delirium! I am pleased that I finally read Delirium, as it provided a fantastic start for what looks to be an extremely thrilling series!