Watering Heaven - Peter Tieryas This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaThere was something that grabbed at my attention when Watering Heaven was requested to me. Perhaps it was the fact that I haven’t read much in terms of Asian fiction, or perhaps because it was described as a travelogue. Whatever it was, it sparked something in me.Watering Heaven is a collection of nineteen short stories, all with some connection to Asia, be it the setting or the characters themselves. There’s also a lot of Asian folklore including in Watering Heaven, and I loved how these were included into the stories. They complemented each other well, and I thought that they were a fantastic edition into the stories. The stories wove together well too, not always with the characters featured but also with the settings and landmarks. I love it when stories do that, as I feel it really helps them to interlock together well. The writing in Watering Heaven is exquisite. And I really do mean that. There are so many beautiful quotes in this book. They didn’t feel misplaced within the stories either. Sometimes, a quote can be brilliant, yet stick out like a sore thumb for the wrong reasons. This isn’t the case with Watering Heaven, everything flows together seamlessly. My favourite stories, basically the ones that have stayed with me, were A Beijing Romance, Staccato and Searching for Normalcy. That’s not to say the others were bad, those three were the ones that made the largest impression on myself. A lot of these stories are incredibly thought-provoking, asking weighty questions and taking the characters through experiences that I hope to never have to go through myself.My one real complaint with Watering Heaven, and this is an extremely petty complaint that I have about nearly every single short story I read: some of the stories were too short. I know that’s the point of short stories, I honestly do. I just get so attached to the characters and their backgrounds that I want to spend more time with them, learn more about them and their relationships with others. I just get so frustrated reading short stories sometimes, it’s like getting a lick of ice cream when you just want to have the entire scoop. Watering Heaven also has some mature themes running through it, so this isn’t one for people who don’t like reading about sex or death. I didn’t personally have a problem with the themes, but I am all too aware that there are people that do.Overall, Watering Heaven was an interesting and, at times, thought-provoking read. Whilst it’s not something I’d have picked up off my own back, I’m pleased I got to experience the beautiful writing that is contained within these stories.I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.