The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaI really enjoyed reading The Hobbit – it took me straight back into my childhood. I first experienced The Hobbit when it was read to my year 4 class (around twelve years ago!). I loved listening to it back then, and knew it was time to read it for myself and re-submerge myself back into the world of Middle Earth.The Hobbit is simply a fantastic story. I loved how Gandalf was introduced to us, along with all the dwarves that just intruded onto Bilbo’s hobbit hole! Bilbo tried so hard to not be swept up in their adventure but ended up getting sucked right into the centre of it, when Gandalf announces Bilbo to be a talented burglar, much to the hobbit’s disgust! There was so much action all the time, which really kept the story entertaining and interesting. It’s easy to see that this was a book originally written as a children’s story, because of all the action that takes place throughout the course of the book. I loved that there were so many mythical creatures mentioned in The Hobbit from dragons to trolls to goblins and so much more, and they were all depicted brilliantly.As I mentioned, The Hobbit was originally a children’s story, and whilst some parts might be considered ‘inappropriate’ for younger readers, I think Tolkien wrote the story perfectly. The Hobbit is the kind of adventure you want kids to be sucked up in, imagining themselves alongside Bilbo and the dwarves as they tried to claim back what was rightfully theirs from Smaug the dragon.I loved seeing Gollum in The Hobbit, the riddles he and Bilbo exchanged were very clever. Winning against Gollum was the first time Bilbo really proved himself to the dwarves, and also helped to boost his confidence. I had completely forgotten how the ring was discovered, I didn’t think that it was pure luck, but as it turns out, I was wrong. I enjoyed reading about Bilbo using the ring, as it helped the dwarves into believing he was a good burglar. I can’t imagine just how difficult the journey would have been without the ring!Reading The Hobbit makes me want to read the Lord of the Rings series. Tolkien’s writing is stunning, and really drew me in and refused to let me go until I had finished the book. This is a must read for any fantasy fan, which probably goes without saying, and it’s also pretty much a must read (for me!) for any one who is simply a fan of reading.