Wolfborn - Sue Bursztynski This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaI was incredibly excited to dive into Wolfborn. It didn’t seem to be your typical werewolf story, and effortlessly blended fantasy, paranormal and historical fiction into one highly enjoyable read.Etienne was an excellent main character. At first, I worried I wouldn’t be able to connect to him, but I found him to be a brilliant character who made very few (if any) rash decisions. He took his duty very seriously, and his loyalty to Sire Geraint was admirable. I can imagine that most people in his situation wouldn’t have been as loyal as Etienne was, admittedly, Etienne had a reason to be loyal to his Lord, but I can imagine that even if he had come from a different heritage, his loyalty would have remained. He also connected with Jeanne, the wise-woman’s daughter with a connection to Sire Geraint, and I loved seeing the dynamics of their relationship, particularly towards the end of the book. What Etienne does at the end of Wolfborn shows how his character grew from being a boy into a man without losing the voice that he started Wolfborn with.The characters in Wolfborn were all diverse and well fleshed out. Sire Geraint was Lord of Lucanne, and extremely loved by his people. One of my favourite scenes in Wolfborn was between Etienne, Armand and Geraint where he teaches Etienne how to fight better. Whilst he was a Lord, he didn’t abuse the power he had been given, and I think that was what made me like him so much. Sylvie and Jeanne were two characters cleverly woven with Geraint’s story, and whilst their connection to Geraint was a little predictable, it really worked well with the entire plot. And the Baron was the villain that every good fantasy needed, and he was definitely evil and had to be defeated! I think my favourite think about Wolfborn was the way the werewolves were presented. These weren’t the typical werewolves I’ve read about in the past, which I definitely appreciated. Their roots were deeply set in folklore, and the novel itself it based on Lai Le Bisclavret, which I will definitely be checking out myself in the future. The story of Wolfborn is still very much Sue Bursztynski’s, and it was a very good story indeed! She has a great knack of being able to bring each of her characters to life, from Etienne and Geraint to Joyeuse, Geraint’s loyal hound. Wolfborn was an entertaining historical fantasy that I would recommend to both fantasy and paranormal fans alike. There’s something to please everyone in this book, and it most definitely was a winner for me!