Renhala  - Amy Joy Lutchen This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaA couple of week’s ago, I listed my top ten bookish resolutions for 2013, and reading more Urban Fantasy was one of them. Renhala fits that bill perfectly, combining action and adventure with a main character who’s learning to stand on her own two feet again after a horrific attack by something that wasn’t exactly human. I’ve been interested in Renhala ever since I saw it on Faye’s blog, and I am so happy to say that Renhala did not disappoint me one bit.I really liked Kailey. We meet her as she’s recovering from a deep depression, after a nasty attack by something that she knows in her heart of hearts was most definitely not human, despite what everyone else tells her. It takes a lot of courage for someone to return to their normal life after something as soul-destroying as that, but that is exactly what Kailey tries to do, and I really admired her for that. In fact, Kailey really appeared to take everything in her stride, especially when she was first introduced to Renhala by Gunthreon. She was weary, but took the plunge and soon found herself swept up in a bigger adventure than she could ever have imagined. And I also adored the fact that she drank tea and that it was a theme constantly picked up on throughout the book, so much so that it really felt like a part of Kailey. And the relationship between Kailey and her mother was fantastically written. Kailey still needed the comfort her mother provided her throughout the entire book, even as they both fought their own battles. It was sad to see her mother deteriorate throughout the book, especially right at the end. I knew it was coming but I didn’t want it to happen!The rest of the characters in Renhala were all written really well, and each had something to add to the plot. I loved Conner, especially when he was with Kailey. His soulspeak ability was incredibly interesting, and I didn’t expect it to come from his character when he was first introduced to the story. I had my suspicions about Gunthreon and his intentions, especially towards the end of the story when he disappeared with Lupa. I adored Bu! He was so sweet and kind, and really cared for all of his friends, and even though he was scared to fight, he still did so, because he wanted to help protect his friends. Ladimer was a clever character. He was in love with both Kailey AND her mother and wanted to do right by both of them, although he could be a little whiny at times. Then there was Amber, Kailey’s ‘best friend’. Oh man, I did not like her at all. She treated Kailey like rubbish throughout the entire book, and blamed all her misfortune on Kailey, even when it wasn’t Kailey’s fault. Then when Kailey tries to be more like Amber, and forces herself on a night out, Amber just deserts her for the first guy she sees. Even when her actions were explained at the end, I just could not find a single redeeming quality about her. The plot took a little while to kick off, but once it did, there was no stopping it. I found all the separate lands within Renhala interesting, although I wished Kailey had appreciated the fact that parts of it were dangerous, and had it not been for Ladimer and Gunthreon, she probably would have ended up dead on several occasions. I also found the ring that Kailey mentioned very interesting, but couldn’t work out the connection with it until it was practically staring me in the face, which is something that I really love in books. I don’t like being able to easily guess parts of the plot, and that’s something Amy Joy Lutchen did really well. All in all, Renhala was one incredible read! I just could not get enough of this book, especially as it ended on one heck of a cliffhanger that has me desperately hoping there’s a second book in the works! Please?