Defiant Heart

Defiant Heart - Marty Steere This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaDefiant Heart is a book that took me completely by surprise. I have so many things that I want to talk about in this review, but that will turn this into a book itself, so I’m going to try and keep it as short as possible. But seriously, if you’re into wartime fiction, or just plain historical fiction, pick it up and give it a go, because it is so, so worth it.I absolutely adored Jon Meyer, Defiant Heart’s main character. Throughout most of the book, the poor guy couldn’t catch a break, but he eventually finds his place in life where people respect him just for being Jon. As Defiant Heart is set in a small town, there was definitely a lot of back-lash against anyone who is different, particularly if they are of a different religion. And whilst I hated reading about the things that happened to Jon, they didn’t feel unrealistic at all. And Jon’s reactions to all the hatred is absolutely commendable, because he doesn’t bite, he doesn’t react, he just continues on with life with his head held high. It was great to see Ben Wheeler, a lonely pilot with a son in the army take Jon under his wing, and helped to give Jon the confidence he really needed. I was super happy seeing Jon take on his gym teacher – it was definitely about time! Mary Dahlgren was an interesting character. At first, I didn’t think I’d like her, but she really became endearing. I felt for her being second best to her father’s political campaign, it just was not fair at all. He was constantly worrying about his reputation, and seemed to have absolutely no morals, especially over his daughter’s wellbeing. When she (finally) got together with Jon, Mary really blossomed, and I loved her character. She gained a lot of strength, but she also maintained the innocence she had started the book with. It was great to see her stand up to her father, and he really deserved everything that happened to him!The plot line of Defiant Heart is breath-taking, particularly the final third of the book. Some of the action scenes were fantastic, and I was definitely pleased that Jon had received some flying lessons from Ben…he certainly needed them! The scenes were so realistic, I felt like I was in the aircraft alongside Jon, but my composure wouldn’t have been as good as his was!I really cannot praise Defiant Heart enough. I could easily write on and on about everything that I loved, but I’m just going to leave it at this: Defiant Heart is a book that will take you by surprise, suck you in with its endearing characters and ultimately hold your attention until you finally finish it. I loved this book. I can’t say anything else but that.I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.