The Selection. by Kiera Cass

The Selection  - Kiera Cass This review was first posted on Music, Books and TeaI went into The Selection a little hesitant, as I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect from the book. I am truly surprised over how much I really did enjoy this book, and whilst I know it’s not a book for everybody, it really did work for me.The Selection reminded me very much of the Hunger Games, but instead of kids fighting to their deaths, we have girls fighting to win a prince’s heart. I know a lot of people have compared the set-up to the Bachelor, and I definitely understand that comparison! I found the inclusion of the caste system a little weird, and kind of old-fashioned, but at the same time, I loved that they were included. I found it interesting that the people who would be mega-rich by today’s standards (musicians, artists etc) were at the poor end of the system, much like they used to be in the past. I liked America as a main character. She wasn’t flaky, she was simply a girl who had been thrust into the limelight whether she wanted to be there or not. I enjoyed watching her start to fall in love, despite her desperate attempts to fight it, and the interactions between America and her maids were fantastic. And as for the love triangle in The Selection? I am so Team Maxon. I mean, how can anyone like Aspen? He treated America like complete rubbish (I don’t care if it was for her benefit or whatever, it’s not fair!), and yet he still expected her to love him! Not cool, Aspen, not cool. I honestly don’t understand how America can see anything in Aspen, because he is most certainly not the boy that she fell in love with back home.The Selection isn’t a typical dystopian, it’s more a romance story with dystopian elements, and whilst it isn’t going to be everyone’s cup of tea, I really enjoyed this quick and fun read.